Search This Blog

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Nokia N810 Internet Tablet

I recently bought a Nokia N810 Internet Tablet that basically is the size of a Smartphone yet it's actually a mini-computer. I can do everything that is vital to me on the go, as long as their is WiFi Internet available somewhere around me, which there always seems to be.

I use my N810 for everything from just browsing the web to look up quick information to remoting in to various PCs using VNC.

The tablet runs Maemo as it's OS, which is based on Linux and it contains a bunch of free and open-source software.

I can even listen to Shoutcast streams, so I can basically even listen to 2pac all day long or the NYPD SOD (Special Operations Division) if I feel so inclined, which I normally am.

I also sent Instant Messages (IMs) out with my N810. It has Pidgin as it's addon, which is really nice. Though, since I run my IMs through Pidgin on only one machine now so that I have universal logs, I do not do this anymore. How to do this is what I will discuss in another post soon.

I love how this device does not rely on a cell phone plan. It relys soley on WiFi, which is free in a lot of places but sometimes not avaible in the current place you are. Though, how can you complain about a free service?

I use my device as a navigator through various places, because it has GPS included and maps included, so I can help navigate myself through various cities. Also, I can even load PDFs on to it, so I can save public transit maps and schedules for easy access. That beats carrying all that paper around.

Only problem I have is, I hate having a device so small for fear it can get easily damaged, but I got 2 years of accidental issurance on it anyway.

Anyway, I love my device and I am glad that I bought it.

No comments:

Post a Comment